#2 or Anne’s Quilt

The story on this quilt is, that quite a few months ago, (probably last March, YIKES!) my friend (and dentist) asked me to make a quilt for her.  To say we both took the process slowly would be an understatement!  She got me a sample of her bedroom wallpaper, and I eventually got back to her with my design idea.  We settled on a time and materials price, since I had no idea how much time a quilt takes to make.  I know that probably sounds strange for anyone who doesn’t quilt, but quilters know that we work in small increments of time around our work/home life.  And other projects sometimes bump themselves up to the top of the line…..like my great-niece’s graduation quilt I will need to get done before the end of May! 😀

Anyway, in the meantime of us dawdling, Anne’s mother died and, I’m not sure how much she produced, but she was a good collector of fabric and all things sewing.  I am not throwing stones, I have the same problem, ahem, hobby.  Anne was left to decide what to do with all of the stuff and called me to go through the fabric and see if I could use any of it for the quilt I am making for her.  So, as we were going through the boxes and bins, I saw that there was mom’s Bernina 1130 sewing machine.  AKA one of my two favorite sewing machines, the other being a Bernini 1230.  When I inquired as to what Anne was going to do with it, I told her if she was going to sell it, to let me know.  I would be interested.  (I know, I know, since I already own an 1130 and a 1230, I don’t really NEED another sewing machine.  But did I say, it’s one of my favorites?!! (Insert whiny voice, a smile, and a shoulder shrug here.))  Well, not too much time passed and she asked if we could barter the value of the machine against the cost of my time.  Deal!  So here we go, and I’m keeping track of my sewing time and we’ll see how close we come to even!

I am doing the log cabin variation that I’ve been talking about, but varying the size of the strips and the size of the blocks.

I decided that my largest sized block would be a finished measurement of 12″.  And the reason for that is: my largest square ruler is 15″, so when I include the seam allowances it is easy to cut to size.  Since 12″ is the standard, then I can make other blocks in 3″, 6″, and 9″.  I know that I could also do other sizes, but the math match ups are easiest with these increments.

This is the progress I have made so far.  I will keep you updated as I go along.  Until next time,

​Marsha

Related Post