It’s a Brand New Year

Yes, I took a LONG sabbatical.  But now it is a whole new year and I am going back to one of last year’s resolutions.  To blog.  And so here we go.

I decided to participate in an on-line quilting challenge (Actually, I’ve mentally committed to two, but that’s another story for another day!).   The administrator of the challenge for the first one posts a theme and then the challenge for participants is to create an entire quilt from start to finish in a single week.  Now, it doesn’t have to be a big quilt (thank goodness!), but it does have to be finished completely.  That sounds daunting if not downright impossible, but this is the eighth year and LOTS of people have participated and accomplished the tasks, so I’m going to give it a go.

My machines are ready,

And my tables are as cleaned off as they are ever likely to be!

The design wall is empty.

 

Oops!  Except for one little flannel board bunny of the grandkids’ design days!

The theme for this week is “8”.  So whatever is made has to relate in some way to the number eight.  Since I spent a bit of time in a number of quilt shops this week (they were all have sales.  It was my civic duty to go!), I had a number of new polka dot fabrics.  Therefore, it was real easy to decide that I would use seven polka dotted fabrics and one stripe.  So I went to my stash and pulled out the dots that I wanted to consider.

Keep in mind that this is NOT my full collection of dots, just the ones that I wanted to consider based on color, spacing, and scale of the dots.  I didn’t include any dots with a white background or a black background.  AND I reserve the right to add some more to my stash when I go to yet another quilt shop tomorrow! 😀

These are the dots that made the final cut. Pardon the pun.

I also took a look at my collection of stripes and decided I didn’t like any of the fabrics I currently have, and that is why I will be going shopping tomorrow.

Next I need to audition some background fabrics.

Not the greatest picture, but in person, the black fabric seemed too harsh and the eggplant wasn’t right either.  But the blue “grunge” print on the right grew on me as I considered it throughout the day.  Therefore, I think that is the one I will go with.

I have been working on string quilts lately, and so my plan is to use these fabrics (the stripe shown in the picture is not working for me because of the pink) and whatever stripe I can find tomorrow in some sort of string design.

I will keep you appraised of my progress throughout the week.

Related Post